HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE - POH of BOX/BOX`N’ Wagons:
Liluah Workshop was initially carrying out POH of Box/Box’N’ wagons. Liluah shops had to increase their capacity for POH/Repair of coaching stock, and hence the need to find an alternative place for undertaking POH of Goods stock arose. With the closure of firstly the Steam Loco activities at Jamalpur shops and secondly the closure of Foundry activities at a later stage, Jamalpur shops under took the work of wagon POH to utilize the manpower and work space erstwhile engaged in steam loco & foundry activities. Detailed proposal sent to Railway Board, was approved. In the first phase POH of 500 FWU BOXN wagons was started . Jamalpur is also fairly well located to undertake this workload as it is close to the coal-loading belt where the bulk of BOX/BOX (N) wagons are examined and isolated for repairs.
The Present activities of Wagon Organization are :
* POH of different types of wagon i.e. BOXN, BOXN HL, BOBYN, BOBR, BOBRN, BRN, BRNA, BFKHN, BCN, BCNA & BVZC etc.
* Complete renewal of Side Wall, End Wall & flooring of BOXN wagon.
* Upgradation & Rehabilitation of BOXN to BOXNR wagon.
* Complete renewal of roof and body repair of BCN wagon.
* Retro-fitment of twin pipe in wagons.